Goal setting and strategic thinking can be a tricky thing to do for your food blog. But before you can make any major decisions for your blog it’s so important to have that vision for your business. In today’s episode we’ll talk about how to set strategic goals for your blog that will help make future decisions more effortless.
One of the things I talk to my clients about is their goals for their blog in one year and in five years. This really helps me to understand the vision of their blog and where they see it going.
What are your goals?
There are a few different types of goals that I want you to think about here.
The first is the tangible, measurable goals that you want to reach in the short term. This may be a specific page view amount, income amount, or maybe posting a certain amount of blog posts per month.
These are great goals to have but the goals I really want to encourage you to think about are the strategic, long term goals.
What is your WHY?
I really want you to answer the question of WHY you are doing this.
- Are you passionate about connecting with your audience?
- Is your blog a stepping stone to something bigger like a cookbook publication or hosting your own TV show?
- Do you want to create a product line that would serve your audience and their struggles?
- Do you want to contribute a certain amount financially to your family?
- Do you want a creative outlet that also brings in some extra cash?
- There are a few different types of goals within the examples I just gave. Some are monetary, some are not.
So if your goal is to grow your blog, ask yourself why at least 5 times until you get to the core of it.
Maybe your answer is that you want to grow your blog so that you can qualify for ad networks, so that you can pay for sports for your kids or send them to a private school.
Maybe you want to grow your blog so that you can grow your audience, get a cookbook published, and share your grandmother’s recipes with the world.
Maybe you want to grow your blog, so you can reach more people and share your blog’s message about plant based eating with more people so that those people can find balance in their diets.
Do you see how each layer gets a little more deep?
Once you know your short term and long term goals, you can design your homepage, about page, or even sidebar with your unique strategy and goals in mind.